The greening of industry is often perceived as a vital process in the future health of our planet It has become a core determinant of economic competitiveness and sustainable growth. The greening of industries also plays a role in poverty alleviation, through promoting energy security, health and safety, and reducing costs through increased productivity.
United Nations Industrial Development Organization (UNIDO) has realized that the Greening the industry is the need of the hour and has taken this as the mission at present.
Responding to the continuous demand from the industry and business enterprises of the country, National Cleaner Production Centre (NCPC) has planned to conduct a certificate level Training course on Corporate Environmental Sustainability through Greening the industries.
• To develop capacity of the participant to drive the greening process of the industry leading the environment/sustainability team of the organization.
• To provide adequate knowledge to advice the management by the organization on green initiatives.
The Programme consists of an academic component which conducts as Class Room sessions with lectures & case studies and one site visit to a given industry.
1.) Concept evaluation of Greening of industries
• Scientific and social aspects of current global environmental issues such as climate change, water stress etc.
• International conventions on multilateral agreements for addressing global environmental issues
Ex: - Stockholm Convention, RIO Summit, Johannesburg, RIO +10
2.) Green industry Vs Greening the industry
• Opportunities Presented by Greening of Industries
• Attribute of a Green factory
3.) Creating an enabling environment for Greening the industries
• National Policy Framework
• Policies at firm / industry level.
4.) Baseline evaluation and gap analysis
• Conducting Environmental assessments
5.) Industry- led initiatives at operational level
• Concepts, Approaches, Tools and Techniques such as Cleaner Production, Green productivity, Environmental Management Accounting etc.
6.) Green environmental technologies (EST)
• Sectoral approaches
• Green Building, Green Packaging
7.) Bridging the gap-capacity building
• Green Jobs & Green Skills
• Changing the procurement Plan
• Internal & External House Keeping
• Integrated Waste Management
• Industrial symbiosis and eco-industrial park
8.) Environmental reporting/Green reporting
• GRI, NGRS, RECP indicators, performance monitoring, carbon footprint, water footprint etc.
• Environment & Energy Management Systems
9.) Managing the social aspects through CSR
10.) Barriers to Greening the industries and enabling measures
11.) Global trend and best practices in Greening of industries
The practical component of the programme consists of one-day site visit to the given industry
Upon Completion of the programme certificate will be awarded to the participants.
Target group of participants for this programme include freelance consultants Industrial representatives who wish to apply Greening aspects in respective organizations and personnel in public sector organizations that interact with the industry preferably in performance evaluation and advisory capacity.
Competencies in handling analytical tools and understand on engineering systems & practices in the organizations are essential. Hence Engineering/Science background, degree or equivalent level minimum, with industry related experience has been specified as the entry criteria for the programme.
The fee for participation will be LKR. 39,500/= per person inclusive of course materials, industry visits, all meals and refreshments.
The Application form is given Annex II of this document. The duly completed application form should be submitted to NCPC office in Nugegoda, send by post or e-mail to Iresha Gurusinghe- iresha.ch[@]gmail.com, iresha[@]ncpcsrilanka.org
Upon submission of Application, the applicant will be contacted for a short interview at the earliest possible time in order to evaluate the ability of the applicant to successfully complete the programme. After the interview the applicant will be informed to register for the
programme by paying the full amount of course fee (i.e. LKR 39,500/=). However as only twenty (30) paid participants are enrolled for the programme, the seats will be reserved upon registration on “first come first served” basis. Hence the prospective participants are kindly requested to submit the Application form as early as possible and enroll without delay. Details of the programme and Application forms can be downloaded from web site www.ncpcsrilanka.org/latest-news/ or can be obtained by contacting NCPC office.