- Current status of the project: Ongoing
- Project funded by: European Union
- Project started on: 2022
- Project completion: 2025
Accelerating Industries’ Climate Response in Sri Lanka is a 5-year project funded by the European Union under GCCA+ initiative. The main government counterparts are the Ministry of Industry, Ministry of Environment, and the Ministry of Power and Energy in Sri Lanka.
The Project’s overall objective is to mitigate climate change by assisting Sri Lanka in implementing its Nationally Determined Contributions (NDC) for the industrial sector. The specific Project objective is to scale-up Sri Lanka’s industrial sector’s response to climate change. The project aims to reduce greenhouse gas emissions by accelerating the adoption of cutting-edge technologies, well-established best practices, and strategies for reducing carbon intensity in terms of energy and resource efficiency. Additionally, this initiative is intended to support long-term development advantages including empowering project recipients and enhancing the ability of government colleagues.
The 05 year Project consists of five components as follows;
- A Measuring, Reporting, and Verification (MRV) system for the industry sector is developed and implemented and baseline for the industrial sector established
- An industrial sector plan for implementing NDCs has been validated and activities prioritized according to agreed criteria
- Policy and regulatory frameworks are improved and related awareness and capacity building of stakeholders to implement these frameworks have been built
- Capacity related to climate change mitigation practices in the area of industry is built
- Pilot technologies and methodologies leading to improved energy efficiency and reduction in GHG emissions are tested to be then replicated
Under the “Accelerating Industries’ Climate Response in Sri Lanka” project, NCPC, Sri Lanka is providing the services for delivering activities related to the ‘‘Capacity related to climate change mitigation practices in the area of industry is built’’.
This program consists of 02 major components as conducting ISO 50001 EnMS expert training and Energy System Optimization training– ESO training (Motor System Optimization (MSO)/ Steam System Optimization (SSO) training).
Energy System Optimization (ESO) Expert Training Programme is the process of designing, operating, and maintaining an energy system in an optimal way to meet energy demand while minimizing costs and environmental impacts. This can include optimizing the use of various energy sources and technologies, such as renewable energy, fossil fuels, and energy storage systems, to meet the energy needs of a community or organization. Motor Systems and Steam Systems are the commonly used energy system in industries. During the ESO training programme, Motor System Optimization (MSO) and Steam System Optimization (SSO) will be covered.
Energy Systems Optimization (ESO) Expert Training Programme
Motor System Optimization (MSO)
Electrical/ motor-driven systems are frequently used in the industry. They are considered promising electricity users. However, they commonly have a lower capacity. Therefore, the optimization of motor systems is a critical need in the industry. Better motor efficiency and control will result in lower energy costs, longer motor lifespans, and a reduction in capital expenditures.
Steam System Optimization (SSO)
Steam systems play a crucial role in the majority of industrial operations today in order to fulfil thermal needs. Because of this broad use, there are unavoidably significant CO2 emissions, which calls for strategies and talks about saving money on energy while lowering greenhouse gas emissions. Therefore, efficient use of steam systems will provide an added value for the industries.
For the initiation of the project, NCPC, Sri Lanka will be conducting a Virtual Awareness Session on Energy Systems Optimization (ESO) Expert Training Programme. The awareness session will be held on the 10th of February 2023 from 9.00am to 11.00am via Zoom Platform.
To learn more about the training programme and its advantages, top management from the manufacturing industries are cordially invited to take part in this session.
Structure of the training programme
- 2 hr awareness raising sessions to the top management of industries
- 2-day ‘End-User’ training course on the basics of selected ESO
- One module of ‘Expert’ training course on the implementation of selected ESO measures
To register, please follow the link below
For more information do not hesitate to contact Ms.Nadeeshani Fernando, Project Officer on 076 3100467 or Ms.Shammi Hettiarachchi, Project coordinator on 076 3103011